HISTOIRE DU LIEU / THE LOFT HISTORY 

The angle of Boulevard Poissonnière and rue du Fbg Poissonnière (the actual McDonald)

Le journal Le Matin/ The newspaper Le matin  - Charles Jules DUVENT (1867-1940)

Le Loft : un lieu riche en histoire au pied d’un immeuble construit en 1830

C'est par la rue du Faubourg Poissonnière que depuis le Moyen-Age , les pêcheurs sont passés pour ramener de Normandie le poisson frais qui approvisionnait les anciennes Halles, le "ventre" de Paris. Ces Halles, créées au moyen-âge n'ont été déplacées qu'en 1979. Le "faubourg" indiquait le quartier situé hors les murs de Paris. En effet au 17ème siècle, les murs de Paris étaient  ici.

 

Les murs de Paris sous Louis XIII et Louis XIV, au 17ème siècle

Ce loft a une longue histoire. Ses murs de pierre, au fond du loft, sont les fondations des anciens murs de Paris, les fameux murs de louis XIII, construits entre 1632 et 1635 pour agrandir les murs  de Charles V qui ne protégeaient pas le Louvre et les Tuileries.

 

Alors que de nombreuses émeutes sévissent dans Paris, à la fin du XVIème siècle, la Reine Catherine de Médicis prend conscience que le Louvre où elle vit et les Tuileries se situent hors des enceintes qui protègent alors la Ville de Paris. Elle prend peur et demande alors que l’on déplace ces murs de telle façon que le palais royal y soit inséré. Ses voeux ne seront réalisés qu’en 1632 après sa mort et sur ordre de son fils Louis XIII. Des murs seront alors construits depuis la Porte Saint-denis et suivront le parcours actuel des Boulevards Bonne Nouvelle, Boulevard Poissonnière, Boulevard Montmartre, Boulevard des italiens et boulevard des capucines pour aboutir à la place de la Madeleine puis à la Concorde et traverser la seine. Le long de ces murs court un fossé en contrebas : l'actuelle ruelle où est situé le loft. Autour il y avait des moulins à vent.

 

Ces murs seront détruits une trentaine d’années plus tard par Louis XIV, le Roi Soleil, pour faire place à une large avenue, lieu de promenade à la mode des Parisiens de cette époque. Louis XIV y plantera de nombreux arbres en forme de boule. Des « boules vertes ». L’avenue prend alors le nom de « boulevard ».

 

Le quartier des folles nuits parisiennes à la fin du XIXème siècle

Au 19ème siècle, Haussmann fait de ces grands Boulevards la vitrine de Paris. C’est le quartier des fameuses Nuits Parisiennes d’Hoffenbach, des théatres, des concerts et des ballets, du french Cancan et des « petites femmes de Paris » qui inspireront les impressionnistes et les poètes maudits imbibés d’absinthe. C’est aussi le quartier des Folies-Bergères et des maisons closes luxueuses où viennent s’encanailler les bourgeois et les nobles. On vient du monde entier se divertir sur les Grands Boulevards de Paris.

 

La Presse Parisienne : le garage du Matin, journal d'extrême-droite puis du journal communiste,l'Humanité

Depuis la fin du 19ème siècle,  le quartier des Grands Boulevards est aussi le quartier de la Presse française : Le Figaro, France-soir, Courrier International, le Parisien, etc. ont eu leurs bureaux dans le quartier et beaucoup les ont encore.

Depuis la fin du 19ème siècle, l’immeuble où est situé le loft appartenait comme tous les immeubles donnant sur la cour au journal « Le Matin », le plus important journal de l’extrême droite française.  Le  Matin ayant abondamment collaboré avec les Nazis lors de l’occupation de la France entre 1940 et 1945, l’immeuble leur fut confisqué à la fin de la guerre et remis aux résistants, en l’occurrence le Parti Communiste. Il devint alors le siège du plus important journal communiste,  « l’Humanité », et le resta jusqu’en 1990. En 1990, l’Humanité vendit l’immeuble pour aller s’installer en banlieue parisienne. Le loft était le garage de l’Humanité. Après qu’il fut resté à l’abandon de longues années, repaire des pigeons du quartier, Florence Souchet l’a racheté.  Il a fallu trois ans pour en faire ce qu’il est aujourd’hui. Les structures porteuses, toutes les pierres, les poutres de métal et de bois, deux des fenêtres du 1er étage,  la poutre Eiffel et l’escalier sont d’origine.

The Loft : a rich in history site at the foot of a building built in 1830

The rue du faubourg “Poissonnière” (“Poissonnière” means “Fishmonger”) : from  the Middle Ages onward, this ancient road was used by fishermen to carry fresh fish from Normandy to “les Halles”, nicknamed the “tommy” of Paris. This middle age wholesale market was only closed in 1979. The “faubourg” means the “Out of the City Walls road”. In fact, in the 17th century the Walls of the city were located just there!

 

The walls of Paris under Louis XIII and Louis XIV, in the 17th century

This Loft has a long history. Its stoned walls, in the lower rooms, the kitchen, the music room and the bathroom, were  the original foundations of the walls of Paris, the famous Louis XIII walls, built between 1632 and 1635 to further extend the previous walls built by Charles V and which did not provide an adequate protection for the Louvre and the Tuileries Gardens.

 

At the end of the 16th century, as Paris was threatened by countless popular riots, Queen Catherine de Medici realized that the Louvre Palace and the Tuileries, where she was living, were outside the walls which then protected the city of Paris. Concerned, she ordered an extension of the walls to fence the royal palace. Her project will only be completed in 1632, after her death, by her son king Louis XIII. A new wall was built then, from Porte Saint-denis, close to the loft, and following the current Boulevard Bonne Nouvelle, Boulevard Poissonnière, Boulevard Montmartre, Boulevard des Italiens and Boulevard des Capucines through the la Madeleine church, Concorde and across the Seine river. People were stopped at the gates of these walls and had to pay a fee to enter Paris, this was a way to keep the poor outside.

 

These city walls were surrounded by a moat flowing through the alley where the Loft stands now! Outside the walls, you could find windmills.

 

The walls were destroyed about thirty years later by Louis XIV, the Sun King, and transformed into a broad avenue, which became a nice walk for fashionable Parisians of that time. Louis XIV built the Triumph Arc of “Porte de Saint-Denis”, the “door of Saint-Denis. Along these avenues, he planted ball shaped trees known as “les boules vertes” ("the Green balls”) and later transformed into "les boulevards".

 

The 19th century District of the crazy Parisian nights

These Grands Boulevards were built by Haussmann, the 19th century, to put Paris on the map. The Boulevards comprise the area of the famous “Nuits Parisiennes” of Hoffenbach, the theatres, the concerts and ballets, the “French Cancan” and “the petites femmes de Paris" who inspired the Impressionists and the cursed poets soaked in absinthe. They were also neighboring the Folies-Bergeres and the luxurious brothels, which were entertainment spaces for the burghers and nobles. The Grands Boulevards were an icon of Paris visited by foreigners as well as nationals craving for fun and entertainment.

 

The Parisian press: the parking of an extremist-right, then of a communist newspaper

 

At the end of the 19th century, the area of the Grands Boulevards is also became a Press hub: the offices of most of the big French newspapers are located there.

 

The building where the loft is located and all the surrounding buildings overlooking the ally were the headquarters of the newspaper "Le Matin", the biggest French extreme-right newspaper, from 1883 to 1944. This fascist newspaper extensively collaborated with the Nazis during the occupation of France from 1940 to 1944. At the end of the war, the new government in France seized the building and handed it over to the resistant movement, nominally the Communist Party. It then became the headquarters of the biggest communist newspaper, “l’Humanité”, until 1990, when “l’Humanité” sold the building to relocate its offices in the suburbs. The Loft itself, which was the parking area of “l’Humanité”, stayed unoccupied for many years, becoming one of the favorite hosting sites for pigeons. It was eventually bought by Florence Souchet, which gave it a new lease of life. It took her three years to restore the loft preserving the original structure and the traditional materials. The bearing structures, the wall stones, the metal and wood beams, the parquet and the windows on the 1St floor, the Eiffel beam and the staircase are all restored original features.